Answers to the Scavenger Hunt: The Civil War review guide:
1. Unsuccessful: McClellan and Burnside (could include others). Successful: Grant and Sherman.
2. Lee and “Stonewall” Jackson
3. Uncle Tom’s Cabin
4. Rose Greenhow
5. Cared for wounded on the battlefield.
6. Because of the successes the Union military was having during the war, including the fall of Atlanta to the Union army led by Sherman.
7. Stonewall Jackson, because he was like a stone wall that didn’t move, even when other men retreated around him.
8. Sherman in his March to the Sea.
9. Battle of Manassas.
10. Confederates held off an attack with many casualties on both sides.
11. That the war wasn’t going to be won quickly and that they needed to get prepared.
13. Ford Theater
14. John Wilkes Booth
15. Preserve the Union, enforce the Constitution, and eventually, to free slaves.
16. Emancipation Proclamation
17. April, 1865
18. Jefferson Davis
19. Shiloh, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Vicksburg
21. Border states, including: Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, West Virginia (after 1863), Missouri
22. Richmond, Virginia
23. Because of his successes in the West.
24. A mother whose four sons were killed in battle.
25. A draft, Richmond and Mobile.
27. Coup d’etat
28. L’Empire, c’est la paix.
29. Franco-Prussian War
31. Blood and iron
37. local councils in Russia, elected officials to support education, medical care, and infrastructure