Mapping Activity: Napoleon’s Grand Empire.
Use the maps below to color and label the maps you received for homework.
Clink on the link below to access the reading on the Spanish-American War:
Begin the reading with the section entitled, “The Spanish American War.”
Use the pictures below to answer question #3 on the handout.
Answers to the Scavenger Hunt: The Civil War review guide:
1. Unsuccessful: McClellan and Burnside (could include others). Successful: Grant and Sherman.
2. Lee and “Stonewall” Jackson
3. Uncle Tom’s Cabin
4. Rose Greenhow
5. Cared for wounded on the battlefield.
6. Because of the successes the Union military was having during the war, including the fall of Atlanta to the Union army led by Sherman.
7. Stonewall Jackson, because he was like a stone wall that didn’t move, even when other men retreated around him.
8. Sherman in his March to the Sea.
9. Battle of Manassas.
10. Confederates held off an attack with many casualties on both sides.
11. That the war wasn’t going to be won quickly and that they needed to get prepared.
13. Ford Theater
14. John Wilkes Booth
15. Preserve the Union, enforce the Constitution, and eventually, to free slaves.
16. Emancipation Proclamation
17. April, 1865
18. Jefferson Davis
19. Shiloh, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Vicksburg
21. Border states, including: Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, West Virginia (after 1863), Missouri
22. Richmond, Virginia
23. Because of his successes in the West.
24. A mother whose four sons were killed in battle.
25. A draft, Richmond and Mobile.
27. Coup d’etat
28. L’Empire, c’est la paix.
29. Franco-Prussian War
31. Blood and iron
37. local councils in Russia, elected officials to support education, medical care, and infrastructure
Please use the link below to complete the nationalism webquest. Don’t forget that you also need to read and answer questions about Tsar Alexander II of Russia.
Understanding the Revolutions of 1848:
1. Complete the “Revolutionary Tour of Europe 1848-1849 map handout. You are welcome to use any website to fill out the mapm, but a helpful one might be:
Use colored pencils to shade each country a different color.
Before you go on to the next task, please show me your map to make sure you have labeled the bodies of water, countries, capitals, and centers of revolt correctly. You will lose points if you do not show me your map before you leave today!
2. Find out why Russia and Great Britain did not see revolutions occur in their nations, and a write a paragraph about each.
To understand why revolution did not occur in Russia, you may use this website:
To understand why revolution did not occur in Great Britain, you must understand a movement called chartism that was going on there:
(Hint: Think about how reforms occurred in Great Britain and why revolution was not necessary there.)
3. Homework: Complete the above tasks that you did not finish in class.